Introduction
My name is Paige Hussey and I am a 7th grade language arts teacher. I have my ELL endorsement, and that population of kiddos hold a special place in my heart! I am in my 5th year of teaching, but third year at my current district in Schaumburg. I taught my first two years right outside Indianapolis, IN.
I serve as the 7th grade language arts representative for our building's Staff Leadership Team (SLT), and I LOVE the school I teach at, so I don't even mind I have an hour commute (I live in the south suburbs). I have realized over the last few years just how much I enjoy teaching junior high and every day my students challenge me, make me laugh, and remind me why I love this profession.
I serve as the 7th grade language arts representative for our building's Staff Leadership Team (SLT), and I LOVE the school I teach at, so I don't even mind I have an hour commute (I live in the south suburbs). I have realized over the last few years just how much I enjoy teaching junior high and every day my students challenge me, make me laugh, and remind me why I love this profession.
Fun Facts About Me:
1. I completed my undergrad at Indiana University (go Hoosiers!), where I was the President of the Filipino Student Association. My cultural identity is extremely important to me and I have a lot of Filipino pride.
2. I love to bake, especially fun-flavored cupcakes and desserts.
3. I just got engaged! On Oct. 6, my fiance, Joe, popped the question in our home after dinner. We are so excited for this next adventure and plan to get married May 2022!
I also really love dogs! We adopted our dog, Luna in Dec. 2019!

Nice to meet you, Paige! I look forward to working with you in this course. While I cannot say I understand his name (not a baseball fan...), Bryzzo is one cute pup!
ReplyDeleteHello Paige,
ReplyDeleteI saw that you are moving to Lockport soon on the post you added to my page. I actually went to Lockport High School. It is a great town! I love the background you chose for your blog. Also, it is very neat that you were President of the Filipino Student Association! I definitely encourage you to adopt a dog whenever you think the time is right. They are so amazing to have in your life, but also can be a lot of work. We adopted our dog from Hopeful Tails in Joliet. Good Luck settling in at Lockport and I hope you can find a companion soon!
Sincerely,
Morgan
Hello Paige,
ReplyDeleteI recently went to Texas. I loved it. I was only there for a couple of days but I loved the warmth of it. I also enjoyed the food. I bet you will love it. Nice to meet you!
This is Leticia Hernandez
DeleteHi Paige-
ReplyDeleteI also teach in a middle school and I agree this population of students offers a lot of entertainment. They spend their middle school years finding out who they are and spreading their wings. I teach 6th grade and they truly transform by the time they graduate and leave our building....it is amazing to watch.
I look forward to working with you this summer. :-)
Hi Paige! I am in your MSED 675 course--it is nice to meet you. I think it's awesome that you have a passion for teaching junior high. I have several friends who feel the same, and it's such an important age to have kind, compassionate, dedicated teachers. I know high schoolers can be a lot, but my hat is off to you! I look forward to learning with and from you this semester.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Paige!
ReplyDeleteI also teach in a middle school in a surrounding suburb. I noticed that you wanted to adopt a dog and I come from a family of dog lovers! My sister went to IU and it is such a pretty campus. I hope you enjoy your summer off!
Greetings Paige! I also teach Middle School in Joliet, Illinois. I would be interested in learning good ways to improve students understanding and comprehension of difficult material If you have any suggestions, please let me know! We also have a high hispanic population, and a lot of the parents opt out of receiving ELL services. I look forward to working with you during this class!
ReplyDeleteWelcome to 713, Paige! I was a middle school math teacher, so I understand the love of that age group. I lived in Texas for 8 years right after college, when my husband was in the Army. Spent a lot of time in Austin (we lived near Ft Hood) - such a great, vibrant city! Keep Austin weird :)
ReplyDeleteNice to meet you! I also love middle school/junior high students! Now that I work across the district (2 buildings) I see all grades and really there are those meant to teach the little ones and those meant for junior high. All are special and amazing. Also - love your dogs name! Go Cubs! ~Meagan B
ReplyDeletePaige,
ReplyDeleteHow did your school begin a food pantry? I think it's great that there is a club that strengthens or builds relationships with special needs children and general education students. I would love to start a food pantry in our building because so many of my students are from low income families. Your project sounds really interesting!
Hi Paige!
ReplyDeleteI am excited we have an ELL endorsed teacher in our class. I teach 2nd grade and often have a lot of ELL students in my classroom. We are 1:1 Chromebooks and I would love to learn ways I can help them achieve success while integrating the tech component.
Good afternoon Paige,
ReplyDeleteHopefully you get to go on with your travel plans sooner than later! I have one class with a bilingual co-teacher and it's amazing how he can go back and forth between languages to explain things to those students. It's amazing. Hopefully your school year starts off on a positive note.
Looking forward to class.
Hi Paige,
ReplyDeleteI to have an ESL/Bilingual endorsement and love working with those kids. I'm the liason to our EL department and work with our bilingual parents advisory board. Since I started working at my district I have increased our Spanish collection and ensure materials/presentations are available in Spanish.
This is my 5th year as well, and such a strange year so far. I'm excited for the opportunities remote teaching can offer and the changes that we can make after all of this is over. I have been listening to Michelle Obama's podcast and heard this quote by Michelle Norris "my greatest hope is that we don't reach for normal, that we reach for better"
Best of luck this year.
Inma
Hi Paige, I enjoy teaching at the middle school level for the same reasons and also have an hour commute. Hopefully you can travel again soon and bake more while waiting!
ReplyDeleteHi Paige,
ReplyDeleteGreat to see you have your ELL endorsement! I am a K-5 ESL teacher and so I constantly have to make teachers aware the scaffolding or supports their students could use within their classroom. Those teachers who have their ELL endorsement, have a better understanding of the needs of their individual students. With most learning being remote this year, knowing your students and ELL supports will help all learners from a far. Your fun facts are interesting! I like to bake and travel as well! With all the time that I haven't been traveling this summer, I have been able to enjoy in the kitchen! Hopefully we all will be able to travel again soon!
Ashley Bernard
Hi Paige,
ReplyDeleteI always enjoying hearing when a teacher understands and supports English Language learners. I am glad to hear that you love your school. I think as a teacher enjoying the school we teach at is so important. It is our second home because we spend so much time there so we need to like being there. When a teacher enjoys the school where he or she works it brings out the best in them. We have some things in common. I also like baking and traveling. I was also bummed that I couldn't travel this summer.
Hi Paige,
ReplyDeleteMy first gig was in a 7th grade science classroom and if it wasn't for changing to high school that is the grade to teach. It is that awkward year where students are really finding who they are. No longer 6th graders and itching to become an 8th grader.
Hi Paige-
ReplyDeleteCute dog! I have two large dogs as well. Congrats on your engagement. My husband also has a long commute to his school but has NOT missed that during remote teaching! The students yes-but not the drive. Your passion for teaching is super evident in the way you speak about it!
Paige,
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your engagement! I am sure it is a challenging time but I hope you find enjoyment in the planning process, it goes fast! I also have a love for junior high students. They always keep you on your toes! Looking forward to collaborating.
Amy Nelson