Monday, October 14, 2019

Genius Hour - Week 1


Week 1 (Oct. 14, 2019)

After reading the quote by Mark Twain, I sat down and began to reflect on what are my true passions in life (aside from teaching), and within minutes, it became quite clear. My first passion lies in creativity. I like repurposing objects--turning “old things” into aesthetically pleasing, purposeful transformations. I love to draw, paint, and build things and devote my weekends to projects. 

Another passion I have revolves around ways to build up my community. I volunteer at the Chicago Food Depository a couple times a year, and the mission to end hunger in the Chicago region is something that has become of high interest to me. The junior high that I teach at hosts a food drive every year in the fall, and we have a food bank within out building that serves families within our district in Schaumburg, Elk Grove, and Hoffman Estates. I think when I started teaching, I learned just how serious and unfortunate the problem is with families struggling to put food on the table. It affects not only the family’s health, but the children’s ability to focus in school, as well as an emotional impact when a child feels food insecure. 

For my genius hour, I want to explore and learn more about the fight against hunger, specifically in the Chicago area. I want to educate myself and groups I am connected to (family, friends, coworkers) about the seriousness of hunger and why it is a cause worth fighting for. Additionally, by the end of my genius hour, I’d like to rally a group of friends and family members who will commit to volunteering a Saturday of their time to volunteer at the Chicago Food Depository with me. I think once they have this experience, it will not only make a positive impact for our community, but for them as individuals as well.

This week, I began researching statistics and information about the types of groups who suffer from hunger and food insecurity. The Greater Chicago Food Depository’s website contains lots of useful information on the topic, and I learned that 1 in 7 people in Cook County currently experience food insecurity. The Food Depository serves more than 213,100 households each year, and many households who are food insecure do not qualify for federal nutrition assistance programs. Furthermore, although we know poverty and food insecurity are often linked, many people living above the poverty level remain food insecure--this may be due to factors such as “unemployment, lack of access to transportation and health problems.”

Learning these statistics was quite alarming to me, and although I knew hunger was a huge problem Cook County faces, I now feel more knowledgeable about the situation--and more eager to keep learning and to do something about it. Moving into the next couple weeks, I plan to pick a date to plan a group outing to the Food Depository, make a list of people to invite, and with my interest in creativity, design posters centered around the statistics of hunger in order to spread awareness (and hopefully convince people to join my volunteer group).



Sources:

https://www.chicagosfoodbank.org/hunger-in-our-community/

8 comments:

  1. Paige,

    I think the aspect of turning things that are old into new elements is excellent and goes hand in hand with the idea of artistic creation. The area of hunger is also a great idea to expand the idea of helping others and utilizing your passion to help the less fortunate was a good decision on your part. What will be the specific criteria that you will use to determine the area of Chicago that will need your help with the fight against hunger? I like that you want to involve your friends with the overall process of helping to fight hunger. How many friends are you hoping to have help with this process? The statistics that you have obtained are excellent and truly support your rationale for wanting to aid this problem. I also like that you are invested in helping this problem and trying to figure out ways to remedy the situation. Excellent post and best of luck with the fight against hunger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paige,

    This is an amazing task to take on! Common Pantry is near our school and our students often complete service hours there, it seems like a great organization. You should check them out as one of your resources!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paige,

    I hope this is going to be an amazing experience for you. I think that by encouraging people you know to get involved can hopefully create a change in the statistics you are learning about. We also have a food drive for our community and it is always amazing to see how caring our students are. I just wish that we could do it more often than just around the holiday time. People need support every day and I hope that your genius hour helps bring awareness and help to your community. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paige,

    I think this Genius Hour project is a great idea! I love how focused it is on serving others, while still giving you the opportunity to be creative. This topic made me instantly think of my own school community, where 29% of students are under the poverty line and receive free/reduced lunch. I can see just how much poverty and being hungry affects students in the school setting, and can only imagine what that must look like outside of school. I wasn't too familiar with the Chicago Food Depository, so this is a helpful resource. How do you plan on promoting this trip to your family and friends? Will you incorporate your school community in any way or link it to your classes? I think this could be a really good opportunity to educate students as well. I'm excited to see where you take this project and think it's awesome that you have taken on this cause!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Paige, super excited to see this goal! Being able to do something tangible about a cause you're passionate about is so fulfilling. I had the same question as Carrie above - do you have any plans to link it to your classes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS - let me know what Saturday you decide on for volunteering at the Chicago Food Depository. I'd love to join you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate, the group I recruited and I will be there Sat. Dec. 7 from 1pm-3:45pm! We are so excited! That would be amazing if you joined!

      And actually, yes--my school is holding a charity event Nov. 14 called Hoops for Hope and all the proceeds will go to the Chicago Food Depository (which I was ecstatic about!) The next few weeks each classroom is collecting non-perishable goods and I plan to have several discussions about the statistics with my students!

      Delete
    2. I will let you know if I can make it - I definitely hope to. Is there an age minimum? I was wondering if I could bring my 6 year old son?

      Delete