We Are Learners
As I worked through this project, although at times it honestly felt a bit like a chore to devote 30-40 minutes each evening on it, I never felt “frustrated” by the process. Something I noticed about my learning while I researched facts and statistics on hunger, I realized my stamina is not very strong. Some evenings after getting home from a long day of teaching (and usually a meeting or two after school), I felt my learning was not always as valuable as it could have been. It felt like I had hit a wall and was no longer processing new information as I browsed websites.
Something that I started doing was listening to soft music as I spent time researching and learning. When I was in college, I always listened to music while studying, so I had a feeling this addition to my routine would be beneficial. I also had to situate myself somewhere with limited distractions. I mentioned in an earlier post that my phone is an easy distraction, so I make sure to put it away (on silent and out of sight). Beyond that though, I also had to change up the location of where I worked on my project. I used to work in the living room--the common area my boyfriend would also use when he got home. He used to sit on the couch next to me and I’d update him on where I was at with my project. However, this week I realized this type of interaction actually slowed my productivity, so I decided on days when we were both home and I had to work on my project, I moved myself to the spare bedroom, shut the door, and truly devoted some quiet, isolated time to get some work done. Between the music and new location, these two adjustments to my routine has helped focus my learning overall.
Something that I learned this week was actually part of an experience I was fortunate to have with some of my students. My school has an after-school club called Club Unify. The club consists of students with special needs, as well as “mainstream” student mentors. The purpose of the club is for these students to build friendships and support for one another while fostering acceptance of students with special needs. This past Thursday, the group spent an hour after school organizing the food pantry that is located in our school. This food pantry serves many families within our entire district, and it was so inspiring to see these 7th and 8th grade students work together to organize the pantry. I think it was a great chance for them to partake in something truly hands on and fulfilling.
Information from the District 54 Food Pantry:


Paige, great job on your project. I find myself isolating as well we I need to get work done. For your school pantry, is it collecting year round or only with the holidays around the corner? My school usually works with our local food pantry but the main focus is during the holidays.
ReplyDeleteHi Pat,
DeleteOur food pantry collects all year round! But there is definitely more of a push / more marketing about it around the holidays.
Paige, nice reflection here. Part of this project is learning how to best focus yourself and it sounds like you've discovered some good procedures and best practices for yourself. I'm happy to hear that your student group was able to participate in the food pantry drive.
ReplyDelete