Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Reflecting and Takeaways - Foundations of Educational Technology



My journey through this course was a fun yet eye-opening one. This course was so engaging and allowed me to explore various apps, websites, and online tools that I plan to try in my own classroom. While it allowed me to add to my tool belt of tech resources, it also was a space where I could reflect on how technology is already being utilized in my classroom, and where I plan to take it in the upcoming school years. It was also interesting to hear from teachers all across Chicagoland about their experiences with technology, their struggles, their gains, and how we all can keep growing in our practices.

One focus of the course that led me to go most out of my comfort zone was when we discussed our involvement with online PLNs. While I embrace the use of technology in my classroom, I never took the time to consider how I could grow my professional network and community of educators via online. I was never big on blogging, the social media platform I use most is Instagram—and I wasn’t even following other fellow educators. A goal I have for myself moving forward is to keep building my connections with educators online because I now understand how useful it is to be able to collaborate and share ideas with people that are all advocating for education in ways that I may not have thought of or tried before. Thanks to this course—and my classmates—I am now following educators on Instagram and Twitter that I probably would not have discovered on my own.

Another takeaway I have from this course is the importance of using technology as a tool with the intention of enhancing and enriching the learning environment—and not to use it as a substitution just because it is more flashy or appears more engaging. Unless it is serving a true purpose for the learning experience of the student and is an effective way to meet their goals, technology is not the end all be all. Even though our students may be one-to-one with Chromebooks, it is still okay to conduct activities or assessments with paper/pencil if it is a better option. It is crucial to provide an appropriate balance—however that may look for each teacher’s own classroom.

Our current digital age is not going to come to halt, nor does it appear to slow down. Therefore, this course has taught me the value in appreciating, accepting, and embracing the tech tools our students now have access to. It also has shown me how important it is for us teachers to be positive role models and mentors when it comes to digital citizenship and responsibility online. If we can educate our students on how to ethically, appropriately, and efficiently access technology, we will mold them into the type of students that will be prepared to navigate this tech-heavy world once they leave our classrooms.



5 comments:

  1. Hello Paige, It is great that you have learned and reflected through this course. I also think that online PLNs are great resources and provide great ways for teachers to share. I had a hard time with Twitter but used to it it was not so bad. Thanks for sharing and I hope to see you in other classes. Have a wonderful summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paige,

    I also feel that I had the opportunity to reflect on my use of technology in the classroom through this course. While it's always important to reflect on your practice, it's especially important regarding technology since it is so new and changing so often in the field. I totally agree with your assessment of making sure we're using technology in a meaningful way rather than just as a substitute for paper/pencil. There were a lot of resources in the course that outlined this process for me and how technology can be used to transform assignments rather than just as a substitute. I'm glad that we got the opportunity to discuss PLNs and ways that those can fit into our own busy lives by turning to commonly used apps like Instagram. It's definitely something I plan to expand on as well! Thanks for your thoughts, it was nice to work with you in our discussion group!

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paige, I also wrote about PLN's. I find it a great opportunity to continue growing in education. I thought it would be a great idea to listen to podcasts on the drive to work! I think this is a great idea because generally while driving, your not being very productive, but listening to the podcasts while driving can make that time more productive. I am glad your learning experience through this class was as positive as mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great reflections Paige! It sounds like you came away with some information that will help you take your tech integration to the next level. So glad to hear about your new found appreciation for online PLNs! I will watch for you on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete